Wednesday 26 March 2008

rhubarb and orange cake

as requested by Garden Girl



rhubarb and orange cake
serves 6-8, serve warm with cream as pudding, or cold as cake, keeps 2-3 days in airtight container -- from March 2001 Good Food Magazine

12 oz rhubarb cut into 1/2 inch lengths (little bits - don't measure!)
2 oz golden caster sugar
zest of 1/2 orange
mix and marinate for 1 hour



cream together
5 oz butter
6 oz golden caster sugar

add 2 beaten eggs
fold in
3 oz self raising flour
4 oz ground almonds
1/2 tsp baking powder



stir in juice of 1/2 orange
----
pour mixture into lined greased 9 inch loose bottomed cake tin
drain the marinated rhubarb and spoon over cake mix
--
bake at 190 C for 25 minutes

then mix

1 oz melted butter
1 oz muscavado sugar,
zest of 1/2 orange
2 oz flaked almonds

sprinkle this over the part baked cake, reduce the oven temp to 180 C and cook for further 15-20 minutes till firm



cool in tin, dust with icing sugar to serve.

hope this makes sense, email me if it doesn't

sorry no photo, I haven't made one yet this year, but because I don't like posts without photos here are some lovely lambs prancing about on 2000 year old roman ruins.






18 comments:

  1. Oooohhh. I do like a bit of 'barb! I like the unrelated lamb piccy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, rhubarb is one of my most favourites (and gooseberries). Sounds lovely, not sure if it's available yet over here...but I'll looking out for it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum - that sounds delicious! I am a big fan of rhubarb. Cute lamb photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, thankyou so much, I feel most honoured! We are just about to settle down to some rhubarb crumble! If you lived closer I would make you a rhubarb cake and bring it round! I will have a go at the weekend and report back- thanks again!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, yum. I just got back from Waitrose with a big armful of rhubarb. I am going to be making this cake at the weekend now. Will let you know how I get on.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cake sounds delicious, I must give it a try sometime soon. I LOVE rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sooo scrummy thankyou so much, we will so enjoy this.
    Those lambs are so chubby, and bouncy, I adore everything to do with sheep (I don't eat them , I'm a veggie)I love felting and the smell of the wool, you have lifted my spirits on this cold and wet Thursday.
    Hugs Lynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds delicious - I love rhubarb crumble so we very rarely have anything else.

    Those lambs look frisky - I hope it wasn't as cold as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds delicious - I love rhubarb crumble so we very rarely have anything else.

    Those lambs look frisky - I hope it wasn't as cold as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great recipe! Now I just have to unearth my rhubarb from all the dead grass and weeds! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I hope to get my baking head on soon because there are so many delicious recipes popping up on my fave blogs!!
    That lamb is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm! That sounds lovely and tasty! I will have to get hold of some rhubarb. Your spring lamb's very cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ....... we had lamb for Easter.............. not these one's of course..............

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look at those little lambs. Gotta love 'em! My husband would love that rhubarb cake.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I wish I liked rhubarb - I have tried, honest - because that looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm saving your recipe until our rhubarb comes up - it sounds wonderful. And now I'll also have to look up rhubarb crumble recipes, since several people mentioned that. I've got a good rhubarb coffee cake recipe, but other than that, we just usually eat rhubarb stewed. Cake and crumble sound much better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just to let you know that I make this all the time at work! it's really popular!x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yummy, I've got to try this cake. Those lambs are so cute. I love it when they jump around and kick up their heels.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting, I love to read your comments, and I'll reply if I can see your email, or here in the comment box.