Tuesday 17 July 2012

this week

the last week of term
things to do, lists to write, plans to make, more things to do.
explain to me then why I spent this morning reading a book that I Couldn't Put Down.
it said that on the cover and I didn't believe it............

Miss K is moving up to high school so there are even more end of term things, including a party tomorrow night. Which requires a party dress. Miss K is even less likely to be seen in a dress than I am, she doesn't get her love of jeans and a hoodie by co-incidence. We finally found a dress she liked, and it almost fit so I thought it would be easy to adjust. Big mistake, I have re sewn a panel at the neckline four times now. It has just been pinned again, if it's not right this time she can go in her jeans! If anyone would like to explain to me exactly What tall slim 13 year old girls are supposed to wear then I'd love to know, the children's clothes are too small/childish, the adult clothes are too big/frumpy/"adult".......


meanwhile E has a scouts bbq at the beach tomorrow night, and guess what, even though it's actually been quite like summer for the last few days (on Sunday we actually spent the afternoon outside at concert and the bag of coats/gloves/blankets was totally unnecessary!) the forecast tomorrow night is for torrential rain........

wish me luck.

edited to add.
the party went really well, and Miss K looked gorgeous, the scouts had a lovely time at the bbq and stayed dry as far as the weather was concerned, but there was the small matter of the sea.........
the book was called "no time for goodbyes" about a teenage girl who argues with her parents and wakes up in the morning to find them gone, and then the rest of the book is 25 years later when no-one had ever found out what happened
trashy summer reading, just what I needed.

12 comments:

  1. Dressing young teens is rather tricky. I've seen girls as young as 8 and 9 in the big shopping centres looking like little adults, its ridiculous.
    I do hope the weather forecast is wrong for the scouts bbq. Good luck!
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the book is...?
    Thought it was going to be your punchline!
    SmallBean's 8th birthday tomorrw- may need MrG as I am on my own with seven kids and a ton of sugar. Wish me luck, Ax

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes this time of year makes list writing a necessity - there are way to many things to do this week for my brain to remember unassisted! I've no advice about the clothing of young teens - my own will not accept any of my advice in that area so I'm clearly out of touch! Anyway, I hope Miss K enjoys the party whatever she wears and that the torrential rain does not materialise and the beach bbq is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed at how much it's raining in so many little corners of the world where it's so out of season right now. This blog world certainly opens my eyes to things like this.
    As for fashion advise, sorry but my girl's only 6 and lives in shorts, jeans and t-shirts so I think I'll be having the same problem as you in a few years. Will definately be asking for YOUR input then so I'm giving you a few years warning!

    xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain, I have a tall slim 13 year old girl too.

    We have largely given up on kids' clothes and shop for her as adult size 8, which usually fit fine, occasionally a bit too big. Just have to steer her away from the one shouldered, sequinned numbers - she would dress like a diva given half a chance! Having said that she does love her skinny jeans and hoodies too. It is a tricky age.

    Good luck on the beach tonight! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi there :)

    anyone who reads a books despite a long To Do list, has my respect. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fifty Shades?!! Heehee. 13 year olds..hmm...New Look or Topshop!x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Luck! Sounds like you're busy. Hang on through the rains -- Dry Weather is coming in August LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope the party and the bbq went well and no one got wet!

    I remember the trials of dressing a tall, skinny, teenage girl well. Too long ago though for me to have any useful suggestions I'm afraid but I feel your pain.

    What was the book?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm guessing you may have joined the Dark Side - or the Grey side ;-)

    Hope you didn't get too soggy. We have our end of year BBQ tomorrow - it's always a trial, so for once I shan't be too upset if it isn't dry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Honestly - the things we do for our kids! My daughter was tall and skinny at that age (still is!) so I know where you're at. Nightmare. Congrats on the success of the cards by the way! They're lovely. xCathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just be thankful she isn't a Goth. At least not yet.

    Can't believe all these offspring of ours leaving primary school. Though our departure was mercifully untearful - guess he's ready.

    Love the way summer makes reading pulpy novels totally acceptable.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting, I love to read your comments, and I'll reply if I can see your email, or here in the comment box.