Sunday 10 August 2014

random things summer holidays week 3


week three of the holidays. 


I discovered that the quiet time in the mornings between J leaving for work and the teenagers dragging themselves out of bed is not for getting laundry done, or planning meals or heaven forbid housework. 
no, it is the time to squirrel yourself away and pull out fabric that you dyed years and years ago on a course, but never used, mostly because you bought calico to dye as it was cheap and then discovered that you don't like sewing with it, as it's a bit stiff and crumply....
it is the time to cut strips and sew them back together, and to experiment with wriggling lines and eek out the purple to make a border. One new picnic blanket ready to go away with us soon.


In other news we've been failing to spot film crews, despite the fact that town seems to be full of them as Downton Abbey is being filmed on location here at the moment and even the high school has been used as a venue. We did see evidence of the fake snow left on the pavements though.


We took a train and went to stay at my parents for a few nights. There's something about train travel that makes me feel like I'm on holiday, the excitement of going to new places, or rediscovering old favourites. Given the choice of all the attractions and museums that the city had to offer the children chose to go and spend time in the newly refurbished favourite bookshop.  
I didn't complain.

The week ahead will be all about list writing and getting organized. 
There are trips planned and places to go.
 I must remember to add picnic blanket to the list.

20 comments:

  1. Us ladies always tend to do household chores in those precious quiet moments - good for you for doing something creative for yourself instead! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful break, and time in a bookshop is always a treat. The quilt is lovely, it reminds me of water. Beautiful. Have a good Sunday. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous picnic blanket. How exciting having downton abbey around :-) Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful picnic blanket :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous quilt! How clever you are! Yes I too have that morning lull before the boys emerge; in term time I would be dog waking and making beds, stacking the dishwasher etc, but during the summer hol's I am enjoying a peaceful cup of tea, a bit of blog-hopping, and trying to finish some crochet, lovely X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that you have a great week ahead with your new picnic blanket quilt. The fabric is so lovely, I thought that you were going to say that it was some frightfully expensive fabric that you had been saving for years, it is so lovely. It makes a great quilt, especially with the way that you have placed the different blocks and the colours! Happy picnicking to you!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is so beautiful! I think you're using that morning time perfectly wisely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like seaweed in Loch Fyne. Love it.
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's a beautiful blanket, and will prove a much longer lasting memory of those quite moments each morning than any chores could! Hope you have many a lovely picnic on it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a great way to use and enjoy those 'less than perfect fabrics'. It will be loved. Hoe exciting that Downton Abbey is being filmed nearby! I can't wait for the new season!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh, I wondered if you'd been seeing filming crews. SweetiePie sent me a pic of Lady Mary emerging from the castle during filming with the caption "We were there"! LOL -- therefore I immediately thought of you and Lisa! Your new picnic quilt is wonderful and I'll bet you guys will put it to good use. I can't wait to see where you are going on your trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful blanket and so right for summer picnics - time well spent and so much better than housework. I shall watch out for you when Downton returns! Lol. Enjoy the rest of the hols. xCathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great use of dyed calico, absolutely stunning. Ocean hues with dune heathers. Perfect excuse for picnics at every available opportunity. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Before Olly came along, I cherished those quiet hours before the older pair surfaced. I envy you that time now! You are far more productive than I ever was though. I did far too much wafting :)
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh there's a fair amount of wafting going on too........

      Delete
  15. Your quilt is lovely, it reminds me of the sea. I find train travel very exciting, probably as we don't do it very often.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful use of the mornings and your dyed calico! Makes me feel very guilty sitting here doing the crossword before work--I should be sewing! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a lovely blanket. Well done for leaving the chores and getting a squirrel. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely quilt, the colours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is exactly what early mornings are like round here at the moment! And it's lovely because I'm actually wanting to get out of bed each day! Love your new picnic quilt. Beautiful colours, makes me think of rock pooling, with sea weeds and anemones.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting, I love to read your comments, and I'll reply if I can see your email, or here in the comment box.